Pool Deck Coating Common Challenges
Pool Deck Coating Common Challenges
When choosing the best pool deck coating for your pool, consider these pool deck coating common challenges. Pool deck coatings are a great way to make your pool slip-resistant, cool to the touch, and protect the concrete from deterioration, but it is important to consider the challenges that come with most deck coatings and the benefits of paying more upfront for a high performance and durable pool deck coating system instead of re-coating it every couple years.
What is a Pool Deck Coating?
A pool deck coating is a protective material that is applied to a slab of concrete to make the pool deck safer and more durable. Pool deck coatings should be able to withstand the hot summer days and UV rays, as well as withstand the freeze-thaw winter environments. Some pool deck coatings are like paint, which can do well in environments that do not experience freeze-thaw, and others are more decorative and require sealer to be constantly reapplied. Our pool deck coating system is a high-performance coating that can withstand freeze-thaw and UV radiation, as well as protect the concrete from harsh chemicals and even salt water environments!! In this article, we’ll review five pool deck coating common challenges that we’ve found being in the industry for 8 years, so that you can have the knowledge to make the best business decision for your pool deck resurfacing project.
5 Common Challenges to Ordinary Pool Deck Coatings
- The most common problem we’ve seen on Colorado pool decks, both indoors and outdoors, is the tendency for the coating to chip and peel.
- Chipping and peeling usually happens within the first couple years of coating installation if you do not get a coating that can withstand Colorado’s tough weather conditions. The material that is installed looks great at first, but shortly over time, it could chip.
- It is extremely important prior to any coating installation to prepare the surface. This means repairing cracks and spalling, sometimes grinding the concrete smooth, and cleaning it. A well-prepared surface will have better adhesion!
- Many coatings just aren’t ready to withstand the high UV radiation that Colorado has, and therefore, you’ll see the coating chip and peel in areas with high sun exposure.
- Most pool deck coatings do not stand up to the high UV radiation we have in Colorado.
- Our UV rays in Colorado can damage not only our skin, but pool deck coatings and other outdoor surfaces if the material is not specified to handle UV.
- With higher UV radiation, pool deck coatings must be able to protect the concrete slab from the harmful deteriorating effects. Many are not up for this challenge. You’ll see certain pool deck coatings that do well in places like Texas, where they do not have high UV radiation, but when you install that same pool deck coating in Colorado, it does not do as well.
- Pool deck coatings generally have a difficult time withstanding the freeze-thaw cycle in Colorado.
- Coatings need to be durable enough and need to be flexible to stand up to the freeze-thaw cycle. Regardless of what type of coating you have, you still need to clean the snow and standing water off, just as you would concrete, but some coatings give better protection against the freezing weather than others.
- As the weather changes from warm to freezing temperatures, and back again, the concrete and concrete coating move. Think of flowers as they bloom and then close again as winter approaches, so does concrete expand and come back in as the weather changes. Your pool deck coating should be able to move with the freeze-thaw conditions.
- Most people and businesses want their concrete to be slip-resistant and safe, yet feel good on the feet, however some pool deck coatings and sealers can be slippery.
- Often if you want a decorative concrete finish, you may have to sacrifice the slip-resistance for the look. Many sealers become slippery when wet, but they need to be applied so that the decorative finish can be protected.
- Our high-performance sand broadcast pool deck coating is slip-resistant and beautiful! We’ve tested different materials and resins and have found the perfect mixture of sand to help promote pool time safety, but not hurt the feet! Look out for this when shopping pool deck coatings.
- Some pool deck coatings are beautiful, but they trap dirt and grime.
- In particular, the pebble coatings are installed in such a way that they have holes for dirt and other particles, even water, to fall through. This is detrimental for the adhesion of the coating.
Now that you know the top five pool deck coating challenges, you are equipped with the knowledge to choose your pool deck resurfacing company carefully. In summary, many pool deck coatings cannot stand up to the harsh weather and salt water or chemical pool conditions, and therefore chip and peel before their time, meaning you must re-coat every year or two. When you choose our pool deck coating system, know that you are making a valuable investment up front to last you a long time! Our pool deck coatings are durable, beautiful, UV-resistant, crack-resistant, slip-resistant, and should prolong the life of your concrete for years to come. Leave the work to us and you take it easy!